Sunday, May 19, 2013

From The Needle to the Gates of Mansions

  The ride up to the top of the Space Needle takes 41 seconds. The view should be taken in for a bit longer. It rises some  650 feet above the city and makes for a spectacular view of the city. Built in 1962 for the World's Fair, it costs 4.5 million and was a massive undertaking at the time.
  Gary, Mike's friend, was kind enough to give me a water tour of Mecer Island and the million dollar mansions around Lake Union. We saw Bill Gates house. Or I should say houses. There is a compound of houses that extend into the side of the mountain. If you get too close the security comes out to check you out. Then we saw those who live on the water. These are not house boats, they are houses that float. Mostly glass fronts so not only can they see from their bedroom but you can see in. I'm sure they have some kind of blinds.
  After that we went to Alki Beach for dinner of prawns and a walk down the beach walk. It was very interesting with young folks hanging out at the El Chubracumbra and a cross between bikers and skate boarders. The prawns were only outdone by the cole slaw. Awsome. The sunset was memorable and caught and posted on Facebook. Check it out.
  I've made a new friend. Fritzy, the snickerdoodle, came out after all were gone to bed to sit with me as I wrote this post. Time to get back to my puppy. I think I have been able to get back to me and look forward to my changing life in Jackson. It was important to spend some time with my old friends so they could remind me of the the qualities that make up Rusty. My journey home will take a while but should be the final chapter to this tale of self discovery. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment