Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Out of the Woods and Over the Bridge

  Well another long day on the road. After 200 miles of twisties I was happy to finally get to an interstate and eventually almost straight road. Riding a road full of 20 and 30 mph turns gets exhausting after a while. The view was nothing short of incredible. The big Redwoods and green everywhere are overwhelming. A stark constrast to the brown mountains of southern CA. Hwy 101 hooks back up with Hwy 1 for a while. The coast up north is a bit more rough, more jutting rocks and not as much beach. There are beach spots that are long and pretty. I can't help think of Florida where the beach even in winter seems warm. Here it is COLD. The Pacific wind makes it cold. After you move away from the beach the wind still brings that cold from the ocean. What do these people do in the winter? I made my way to Eugene Oregon for the night. I meet some kids who were out of gas in the middle of nowhere California just before the Oregon border. They were begging for enough money to get far enough to find a Western Union. No doubt for a call to somebody's Mom. I gave them five bucks. Afterall this place had one gas pump with only regular. The major business in town was carving with a chainsaw.
  Oregon has a strange rule about gas service, there is no self serve. Both attendants said I'll hand you the pump and you can fill your bike. They wouldn't dream of touching, scratching or spilling gas on my bike. It was a draw back to the age of full service. I did that for a while. Fill the gas check the oil, etc.
  My song choices for today are, Jim Croce "Operator" while driving through the redwood or Everything But the Girl " I Don't Understand Anything" also through the redwood. You can tell I spent a long time in the redwood today.
  Tomorrow on to Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment