Sunday, May 26, 2013

Heat Wind Manure, Must Be Texas

  I meet some bikers from Kansas last night and they were gassing up when I loaded this morning. Nice folks making a big square on a ride. I headed down 82 to 287. Thet road on 82 out of New Mexico was abandonded. Then I got passed by two riders. I saw them coming up on me and when they passed I saw their patches on their vests  Bandidos. Contrary to popular belief real biker gangs will not mess with you unless you mess with them. I had no intention of "messing" with them. As I continued south there were more and more bikes. I found out at a gas station the Red River Memorial Run  was this weekend. All kinds of bikers were on the road including a contingent of Bandidos. As I got toward the end of New Mexico the heat began to rise and the mountains began to dwindle. The wind picked as well. Once the oil derricks appeared and the smell of manure hit I knew I was in Texas.
  It got so hot today my phone went to a yield heat alert. I found this happens if it gets to much direct sunlight. Even opening the top of the case didn't cool it. It cooled down in a convience store while I paid for gas and got a water. I took my time. I moved it to my vest pocket in my jacket to keep it out of the sun. Tunes went on just fine. That brings me to my tunes choice of the day. "Radar Love" on the open road of New Mexico or "Pass The Hatchet" by Roger and the Gypsies off the Desperado soundtrack as I pass the oil derricks in Texas.
  There are a group of riders from Longview at the hotel tonight. They went to the Red River ride. Nice enough guys but not very inviting. They are wrapped up in their own journey so no hard feelings. I am glad I took this trip on my own, it would have been selfish of me to take someone else on such a personal journey. God and I have settled a lot of issues on this trip. It's no use trying to understand why Kathy had to die. That's God's job and beyond my ability to comprehend. Either you trust God has a plan or such things make no sense. I've seen enough of God's will in my life to believe and so I do. The big question is what's in store for me. Part of my nightly prayer is to be granted the wisdom to recognize my part in God's plan and the courage and ability to carry it out. Kathy believed God got me sober so I could care for her. I'm not sure she was wrong. I remembered the song lyric again today. " to know yourself is to let your be loved". I'll keep that one on my mind for a while.
  My journey is almost done. Tomorrow back to Don's where it started and then home to the girls, Todd and Sarah, Max, Ruby and family. I promised to go cook dinner for Kate soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment